A Mandatory Reporting State
Identity Theft laws in Virginia
- Identity theft Law – Va. Code Ann. § 18.2-186.2
False statements or failure to disclose material facts in order to obtain aid or benefits under any local, state or federal housing assistance program.
- Identity theft Law – Va. Code Ann. § 18.2-186.3
Identity theft; penalty; restitution; victim assistance.
- Identity theft Law – Va. Code Ann. § 18.2-186.6.3:1
Identity fraud; consumer reporting agencies; police reports
- Identity theft Law – Va. Code Ann. § 18.2-186.4
Use of a person’s identity with the intent to coerce, intimidate, or harass
- Identity theft Law – Va. Code Ann. § 18.2-186.5
Expungement of false identity information from police and court records; Identity theft Passport
- Identity theft Law – Va. Code Ann. § 18.2-152.1
Using a computer to gather identifying information.
- Spam Law - § 8.01-328.1
- Virginia Expanded Identity Theft Laws - Click to download the attached file(s): Virginia.pdf
Provided by ID Safety in partnership with International Association of Chiefs of Police and Bank of America
Security Freeze Law in Virginia
- Virginia Security Freeze Law
- Eligibility: All consumers.
- Fees: No fees for identity theft victims with police reports.
- All others pay a $10 fee to place the freeze.
- Effective date of law: July 1, 2008
- Permanent freeze remains until removal requested by consumer.
- Click here for instructions on how to place the freeze:www.consumersunion.org/pdf/security/securityVA.pdf
- Place the freeze over the phone
- Equifax - 800-685-1111
- Experian - 888-397-3742
- TransUnion - 800-680-7289
Contacts in Virginia
- Attorney General: Mark Herring
900 E. Main St., Richmond, VA 23219
Phone: (804) 786-2071
Credit Reporting Agencies (CRAs) - Please refer to ITRC Solution 2: Credit Reporting Agencies Contact Information
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): IdentityTheft.gov
Identity Theft Complaint Input Form
The FTC also provides helpful information regarding limiting unwanted calls and emails; computer security; kid’s online safety; protecting your identity; and repairing identity theft. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/topics/privacy-identity
- Annual Free Credit Report
Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281
- CareConnectUSA - Family helplines for financial assistance and related issues
- National Conference of State Legislatures