Identity Theft in Missouri
- Identity theft Law - Mo. Rev. Stat. § 570.223
Identity Theft – Penalty -- Restitution
- Spam Law - § 407.1120
- Security Breach Law § 407.1500 HB 62
- Missouri Expanded Identity Theft Laws - Click to download the attached file(s): Missouri.pdf
Provided by ID Safety in partnership with International Association of Chiefs of Police and Bank of America
Security Freeze Provided by the three Credit Reporting Agencies
As of November 1st, 2007 all three credit reporting agencies are voluntarily offering Security Freezes to all states that do not currently have a freeze law. To apply for this freeze you will need to write to all three credit reporting agencies.
We have provided for you a pre-made letter form (Letter Form 124A ) to submit with your documentation to Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. You will need to place the freeze with all three credit reporting agencies. Placing it on one will only place it with that specific company.
Include in your packet:
- A copy of your State ID or driver’s license
- A copy of your social security card
- A copy of a bill, bank statement, or pay stub with the same name and address that appears on your state ID
- If you have recently moved include a photocopy of your change of address card with your state ID.
- If you are a victim of Identity Theft, include a copy of your police report. This will give you the freeze for free.
- If you are not a victim of identity theft, include the amount of $10 per company to place the freeze.
Experian’s website about the freeze -www.experian.com/consumer/security_freeze.html#state
Place the freeze over the phone
- Equifax - 800-685-1111
- Experian - 888-397-3742
- TransUnion - 800-680-7289
Contacts in Missouri
Attorney General: Chris Koster
Supreme Ct. Bldg., 207 W. High St., Jefferson City, MO 65101
Phone: (573) 751-3321
AG's Identity Theft Information
Missouri Department of Revenue
Credit Reporting Agencies (CRAs) - Please refer to ITRC Solution 2: Credit Reporting Agencies Contact Information
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): IdentityTheft.gov
Identity Theft Complaint Input Form
The FTC also provides helpful information regarding limiting unwanted calls and emails; computer security; kid’s online safety; protecting your identity; and repairing identity theft. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/topics/privacy-identity
- Annual Free Credit Report
Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281
- CareConnectUSA - Family helplines for financial assistance and related issues
- National Conference of State Legislatures