Not a Right to Report State

Identity theft laws in Alabama

Security Freeze Provided by the three Credit Reporting Agencies

As of November 1st, 2007 all three credit reporting agencies are voluntarily offering Security Freezes to all states that do not currently have a freeze law. To apply for this freeze you will need to write to all three credit reporting agencies.

We have provided for you a pre-made letter form ( Letter Form 124A ) to submit with your documentation to Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. You will need to place the freeze with all three credit reporting agencies. Placing it on one will only place it with that specific company.

Include in your packet:

  • A copy of your State ID or driver’s license
  • A copy of your social security card
  • A copy of a bill, bank statement, or pay stub with the same name and address that appears on your state ID
  • If you have recently moved include a photocopy of your change of address card with your state ID.
  • If you are a victim of Identity Theft, include a copy of your police report. This will give you the freeze for free.
  • If you are not a victim of identity theft, include the amount of $10 per company to place the freeze.

Place the freeze over the phone

  • Equifax: 800-685-1111
  • Experian: 888-397-3742
  • TransUnion: 800-680-7289

Contacts in Alabama

Credit Reporting Agencies (CRAs) - Please refer to ITRC Solution 2:  Credit Reporting Agencies Contact Information

Other Resources



ITRC Sponsors and Supporters 





Go to top


The TMI Weekly

Breaches here, identity theft there and invasions of privacy everywhere... Should you be worried and, if so, how can you protect yourself? Sign up now to receive The TMI Weekly and get the latest hot topics in identity theft, data breaches and privacy and helpful information on how to protect your information.